After an outing, you decide to catch a cab. You get home only to discover that you lost something really important in your taxi. Most people, won’t bother to go back and try to find the item, assuming that it has been lost forever. Don’t throw in the towel just yet. Here are some steps you can take to recover your lost property.
1) File a report with NYC Taxi Commission. This can be done over the phone by calling 311. If you live outside of New York dial 212-New-York. You can also do this online at http://www1.nyc.gov/311/. Make sure to have information, like the medallion number, on hand when you call.
2) Contact Police Precincts: Contact Police centers in each borough to see if your item was returned there. You can find a complete list of lost and found police centers on the nyc.gov site.
3) Post Online: Use yellowcabnyctaxi.com and post a lost property listing. For a small fee, you can post a public message. This posting makes it possible to connect with taxi passengers who may have grabbed your item after your ride in the same taxi. You can list your information so that someone can contact you directly, which may yield better results.
If these options don’t work, here are some last resorts you can employ to help find your property:
5. Newspaper listing: Find the newspaper public announcement section and list your lost & found notice. There’s a chance, albeit small, that someone may see your ad and return your property.
6. Taxi Garages: Call 311 and you can find where the taxi garage is located. You can then contact them directly to try and locate your property.
7. Social Media: Use social media functions like Twitter #hashtags to potentially locate lost items. Celebrities have used this to successfully track down items, so it is worth a try.
If you ever find yourself on the other end of lost property in a NYC taxi, refer to this handy guide to get your stuff back in no time!
YellowCabNYCTaxi.com Staff Writer
get rid of the taxi-TV and the partitions. this way the driver could see if something left in the back!
I left my dark green carry on suitcase with pink ribbon. Please contact me if you find it. Thank you,
i left a black suitcase with a yellow handle in a yellow cab that picked me up at the LGA and brought me to Forest Hills.
It is in the trunk.
I left my black purse with a bunch of pens, and an orange hard drive in a green taxi on 10/03/16 at 11:30pm. Please help if found!!!
Hi Jenna,Sorry to hear such bad news.
listen ,if you had a receipt from your driver then it would be easier to locate him .
if you don’t have a receipt but you remember the pickup location and drop off location
then I advice you to call 311 and mentions taxi lost and found support.
Or find out all green cab owners or garages phone nums and call them one by one .
the most important you got to remember the trip date location and trajectory.
but if the driver didn’t pay attention and an other passenger had gotten in to to cab after you left then I would hope not the case.
Philly says uber is illegal taxi. Time nyc says something.
Canada to allow taxis to use bus lanes. Time for nyc to wake up.
why do we pay mta surcharge tax
30$ per driver a day and if you multiple that by 15000 drivers a day that would bring easily about 450000$ a day better than the tolls in tunnels because tunnels must pay for maintenance.
at least taxis need one express lane from 6am to 8 pm if a taxi has a passenger inside.
Nine more corporate foreclosures at 1.2 million.
Personnely I can’t affoard paying my appartment rent and I dont know what to do .and dont have any money to go home .it’s a disaster …uber disorder..I tried to get a job but nobody called me back ..no body .can’t understand what going on .
Cabbie are you driving for a garage or did you buy a medallion at high price?
Philadelphia Judge Orders Uber And Lyft To Cease Operations In City. One honest judge can change things…
More forclousures , no sales of medallion as the price drops lower. I’ll buy at 200k – 225k